Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Not Quite Singing in the Rain

Today it was rainy, as it was yesterday; in fact, yesterday it hailed. Anyway, I had socio-cultural studies from 10-12 today and since my art history class at 1:30 was cancelled and I didn’t have class till 5, I went back to the Foyer. At 4:30 I had to return to school and by then it was pouring when it hadn’t been earlier. Somehow I didn’t realized it was raining and I ended up going out without a hood or umbrella (actually I really don’t like umbrellas and don’t own one so that wouldn’t have mattered). But by forgetting a hood, I rediscovered how much I love the feel of rain on my face. I’d forgotten what it felt like—not caring about my disheveled and wet appearance and allowing the weather to have its way with my hair. I found myself smiling up at the sky and then I realized people might be watching so I tucked my smile inside me. That was until I saw a little boy running, hand in hand with his grandmother, towards me down the pavement. He had, clutched between his body and arm, an enormous baguette. And that’s when my smile came out and wouldn’t go away. For a good twenty minutes I smiled the whole rest of the way, not caring what people thought. The rain was just so beautiful; I just couldn’t contain my sense of joy and contentment. It made me think of Singing in the Rain, which is one of my favorite films and oh man did I feel like dancing in the rain, but I restrained myself, barely. I actually saw Adam on my way back and as I’d been smiling foolishly for a while I buoyantly yelled across the street how much I liked the rain. And he shouted back how much he detested it. Needless to say, it was a great day.

The episode with the rain and the little boy reminds me that a couple weeks ago (jeez I can’t believe it’s that long ago already) I was walking down the street and there was a mother with four little girls (I’m going to assume that they weren’t all hers since three of them looked about the same age.) Anyway three of the little girls, who were probably about five years old, would run on ahead of me, hide behind a niche in the wall or a doorway and then giggle and pop out when their mother came by. By then I would have passed them, but as soon as they popped out they’d come running past me again and do the same thing all over again. I can’t even recall how many times they did this before our paths diverged. But it made me smile. I love little kids and their infinite ability to take pleasure in the simplest things. And I love that they act the same in both the US and France.
The rain also brings to mind a certain event that I always associate with rain and clouds and sunshine. One of the most beautiful things in the entire world happens when there are clouds in the sky and you look toward the sun and suddenly the sky opens up and you can just see the rays of golden light pouring from the heavens. The French have a word for this: éclaircie. I think this is one of the most beautiful French words I know. French is already a very pretty language, but this word in particular strikes me as beautiful, which is fitting since its meaning is so beautiful. As a side note, this is also a feminine word and WordReferenc.com translates it as “sunny spell,” but it is really much more than that.
Since this entry has turned into a meteorological report, I might as well mention that you can really see the stars here. Not that you can’t in Irvine or North Andover, but the smog blocks a lot of the light and there’s a lot less smog here. And there aren’t quite as many street lights to interfere with celestial light. I have to say I prefer the night skies over here.

Good night! Or good morning! Wherever you are…
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment