Friday, March 5, 2010

Galerie de David d’Angers


I’ve now been in France for a little over a month and I have learned so much in such a short time. My French is definitely improving and I think you can tell that I’ve really been enjoying discovering this city. I’ve included a map in this update so you can see the locations of the Foyer, the Château, the Musée de Beaux-Arts, the Galerie David d’Angers, and the Université Catholique de l’Ouest.
Sometime after school last week I made a trip to the David d’Angers gallery and the oldest house in Angers, the Maison d’Adam (House of Adam). The Maison was constructed around 1500 and it is now a shop that sells really beautiful sculptures, hand-crafted glass and other miscellaneous, pretty things. After stopping there for a bit, I went to the Gallery. The almost-complete collection of Pierre-Jean David was housed within one building, the Abbey Toussaint chapel which dates back to the 12th century and is located right next to the Musée de Beaux-Arts. The collection was comprised of 30 large statue molds, 110 busts, 500 medallions and the front piece of the Paris Pantheon. It was quite magnificent. In case you’re wondering who David d’Angers was, (don’t worry I didn’t have a clue either) he was a contemporary of the famous Jacques-Louis David (hence the “of Angers” attached to his name). David d’Angers worked with bronze and marble to create tableaux, sculptures and busts of important personages like Goethe, LaFayatte, Balzac, Thomas Jefferson, etc. Anyway it’s time for dinner and j’ai la dalle (I’m starving).

Later!
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment