Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Peanut Butter Jelly Time














Today was the Journée Internationale and it was a blast! Our group of Americans had been meeting on Thursdays during lunch for several weeks planning for this day and it was a huge success. No countries were allowed to use flags (apparently the Chinese students get very offended when the Taiwanese students try to bring out their flag), but we could decorate with red, white and blue; in fact, we borrowed France's decorations. We had a slideshow going with pictures of the entire US and music playing from a stereo, also borrowed from the French.

One of my friends located some good peanut butter and strawberry jam so we made a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for our food item. It was so simple, yet sooo delicious. The hardest part was not eating the sandwiches after they were made because all of us hadn't had a PB & J in sooo long! Plus the sandwiches were perfect because people here really don't know what they're all about. At first, they were weirded out by the peanut butter, looked at it as if it were poison and said things like, "Peanut butter? What?" But usually after tasting it their skepticism faded and they were saying, "Wow this is SO good!" And we were like, "We know!"

One French girl liked PB & J so much she came running up to our table, dragging her friends behind her and started jumping up and down she was so excited. She made all her friends try the sandwiches and then if they didn't like it, she'd eat it for them. She came back after every class period for more. Her enthousiasm for peanut butter was awesome, and very contagious. By the time I finally ate a sandwich, I was hopping up and down too. I hope that I will never again take peanut butter for granted. I just feel bad that the girl couldn't try American peanut butter. If I ever find out who she is I'll have to send her a jar of Skippy or Jif.

The other food was great too. I love trying new things and it was so much fun going from station to station, eating the food and looking at the other countries' costumes and decorations. The countries represented were France, Poland, Vietnam, Japan, China, Korea, Holland, Mexico and the US. The Vietnamese girls donned these beautiful dresses and served shrimp flavored rice cake things along with sausage and sticky rice. Poland served some carmel candies and bread (I think babka piaskowa) and danced around to Polka music.

The Japanese and Korean girls wore their kimonos and made this cabbage cake from Japan called okonomi-yaki and these delicious Korean noodles. They were also writing peoples names in characters so I had my name written in Korean and three different ways in Japanese.

There were two French booths, one with Angers specialties like chocolates filled with Cointreau jelly and Quernons d’Ardoise (nougat coated in blue chocolate), and the other with pate du foie gras, roquefort cheese, and le petit-suisse on a baguette along with rice pudding and madeleines. Mexico made guacamole with chips (another food I'd been craving) and this chocolate and chile thing that was really interesting, but very good. They had a lot of decorations from Mexico, including a neato boxing mask.

I helped Laura and Isabel make their vlaflip (plain yogurt mixed with vanilla yogurt) and took over for them when they wanted to try some things. I had to explain to people who came up that I wasn’t actually from Holland, but that the wooden shoes are called klompen and that there are lots of cows, windmills and tulips there. It was fun pretending to be Dutch and funnier still when Moe joined me behind the table. I'm pretty sure they knew she wasn't Dutch.

But the best part of the whole thing was the fact that us Americans taught the other students how to line dance. We taught them the Cupid Shuffle, Electric Slide, Hand Jive, Macarena (I hope Mexico was cool with that), Soulja Boy, Cotton Eyed Joe and the Cha Cha Slide. We played songs from the Beach Boys, YMCA, Don't Stop Believin', Grease, Party in the USA, Thriller (one girl knew the entire dance), and Single Ladies (another girl danced this exactly like Beyonce and put the rest of us to shame). Everytime there was a break for class we’d start dancing in the hallway and have passerbys join us. It was like High School Musical ... but in college and in France. Everyone had such a great time. And better yet, I jokingly asked my my socio-culturelle teacher if we could get extra credit for putting this on and she said yes! This is perfect considering her mid-term is going to be a monster.

Bye, Au revoir, Do widzenia, Tạm biệt, Sayonara, Zài jiàn, To boayo, Dag, Adiós!

Heidi

Picture of me and my langue prof, Mme Billette! (And yes in one of the pictures, I'm the only one with my eyes closed.)

2 comments:

  1. Your entry is great, Heidi! Sounds like everyone had a wonderful time! This event reminds me of Global Village, which we held at Merrimack in February. There was lots of music, food, and dancing :)

    I completely understand and appreciate your longing for American peanut butter while you are abroad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! I can't wait to participate in Global Village at Merrimack cause this was so much fun! And yes, I do miss my peanut butter :)

    ReplyDelete