Friday, April 30, 2010

Flanders Day 5: “Partir, c’est mourir un peu”

















I’m sitting on the TGV watching the beautiful countryside pass me by as the sun slowly sets. The fields are emerald green and vibrant yellow and the trees are covered in leaves. Currently, I’m listening to Dr. Dog’s “Where’d All the Time Go” and reflecting on my adventures…

This morning Rik and I went for a walk by the lake and we were lucky enough to see lots of nesting birds with their followings of ducklings. I was so content not to go to another museum or see another old building. Though it’s wonderful seeing historic buildings and ancient artifacts, no man-made object can ever replace the beauty of nature.
After the walk and some lunch it was time to say goodbye. At the train station I ate my first (and hopefully not last) scrumptious Belgian waffle. Rik said I reminded him of Philine, his granddaughter, because that was the first and last thing she always did.

My observations on Belgium:

1. People are more willing to speak English than in France or Norway (Norwegians speak English well, but they’re just more shy about it).

2. Most people in Belgium speak about 3-4 languages: Flemish, Dutch (because it is almost the same as Flemish), French, English and German are the primary ones.

3. Each type of liquid (be it water or beer) is served in a different type of bottle and glass. There’s SO many varieties of beer which is astonishing because it means that for every single type there is a different bottle and different glass with that type of beer's name on it. Yikes.

4. Kriek is one of the most popular drinks, especially for girls. It’s a very sweet, fruity and delicious cherry beer.

5. There are lots of similarities between Flemish and English and I think it would be easier to pick up than Norwegian. For example, “dank u” is “thank you” and “goeiemorgen” is “good morning.”

6. I have never seen so many bicycles in one place in my entire life. If anyone has ever lost a bike or had one stolen...it's probably here.

Living with the Verbekes was like living with a French family. I went from speaking a ton of English and almost no Norwegian to speaking a ton of French and almost no English. This spring break was marvelous and I’m so grateful that I was able to stay with both the Brunvolls and the Verbekes.

Vaarwel! (for now)
Heidi
Sidenotes:
1. Made it to Lille-Flandres station and saw the cathedral there, but then almost missed my train from Paris to Angers because I thought I could walk from the Gare du Nord to the Gare Montparnasse in an hour and a half. (Yes, that was a dumb idea, but hey, I figured out why subways are such a good idea.) Word to the wise, don’t attempt it. Especially if you’re carrying 80 pounds on your back.
2. I was so happy to be back in Angers! It has really come to feel like home.
3. The quote at the top means: “To leave is to die a little.”
4. Dr Dog’s “Where’d All the Time Go”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0f5MHtm63k

No comments:

Post a Comment